July 23, 2020
January 31, 2020
January 11, 2020
October 21, 2019
Tourist Information Office
Ufficio IAT - Informazioni Accoglienza Turistica
Via del Corso, 2
Tel. 071 7978636
This is the last entryway, in order of construction, to the Corinaldo castle and was built for the occasion of the Renaissance addition (1484-1490).
The gate and the adjacent tower had been partially interred in 1850, when the ring road around the walls and the lower “murello” were constructed.
There is a shooting cupola inside the tower, and it is possible to go on top of the tower through a staircase located to the left of the main entryway. The access arch was significantly enlarged in the early 1900s to allow access for the first public means of transport.
The Rotonda Tower, with a semi-circular plan, belongs to a Renaissance addition started in 1484 and concluded in 1490. From the south-facing terrace of the Rotonda Tower it is possible to see the overlapping of the two different walls, easily distinguished by the curves of the fourteenth-century walls and the linear walls of the Renaissance era structure. From a grate at the centre of the terrace it is possible to see a shooting cupola.
This tower was originally pentagonal in shape and included a massive protruding structure hanging over the street below Via del Fosso. It became necessary to demolish the original tower and build the current one to adjust it to the nearby “Rotonda” and “Porta Nova” towers in the late 1800s.
The tower takes its name from the street where until 1940 was positioned the Mangano, an ancient tool used for pressing fabrics.