July 23, 2020
January 31, 2020
January 11, 2020
October 21, 2019
Tourist Information Office
Ufficio IAT - Informazioni Accoglienza Turistica
Largo XVII Settembre 1860, n° 1
Tel. 071 7978636
the well was built by the tyrant of Corinaldo Antonello Accattabriga in the second half of the fifteenth century to provide water to the surrounding homes. It was subsequently buried during renovations of the staircase in the early 1900s.
This is the last entryway, in order of construction, to the Corinaldo castle and was built for the occasion of the Renaissance addition (1484-1490). The gate and the adjacent tower had been partially interred in 1850, when the ring road around the walls and the lower “murello” were constructed.
A real masterpiece of military defense consisting of two parts built in two different eras. There is a pointed arch located at the foot of massive steps on Via Piaggia, with ashlars bearing the epigraphs showing the year of construction “Hoc opus … MCCCXL” (1340) and the name of the gate “ad portas Sancte Marie”.
An enormous structure consisting of an access archway leading to the city centre and buildings constructed to house the Bargello (the people’s Captain) and the guard house. This is considered the most interesting area of the castle wall, with many of the defensive structures still unchanged over time, such as the “bianchetta”, a small portal to the left of the arch that allowed access to the city centre at night and during sieges.